A happy employee is a successful employee. I’m not saying you have to praise your employees every single day, but you should try to show them that you appreciate them and their work. I know things get busy and sometimes you forget, but make it a point to say “thank you.”
You can show them you care in a lot of different ways. Depending on the size of your company, some of these may be easier than others.
Here are the top 5 ways to show your employees you appreciate them:
- Specific praise — If they went above and beyond, acknowledge it with specific details on why they did a good job in your eyes. This can be done in person, via email or even a handwritten letter. If you think other employees should know about it, send out a company-wide email highlighting their work. It will make them feel appreciated and encourage them to keep up the good work.
- Please and thank you — Sometimes we forget to use these words when asking employees to do certain tasks. Being polite goes a long way.
- Schedules — If they’re doing great work, nothing says “Good job!” like time off. Give them schedule flexibility and they will feel more motivated to work hard. You can also implement a day off where the whole company takes a field trip or volunteers somewhere. It’s nice to get a break from the office.
- FOOD — Free food is the way to many people’s hearts. When your employees have a big team success, throw a company pizza party or have an ice cream sundae buffet. Who doesn’t love pizza and ice cream?
- Training — It may sound dorky, but people like to learn. Give them the opportunity for more training in an area they’re passionate about. If you can afford it, offer some sort of incentive for grad school.
Don’t feel obligated to do all of the above. Choose what works best for you and your company! If you know your employees love something, do that.
Recommended for You Webcast, August 25th: Leveraging Your Existing Customers For Growth
Top 5 Ways to Show Your Employees You Appreciate Them