jeudi 5 novembre 2015

Sara Bareilles Shows Fans In New Book How She Overcame Depression In Music Industry

tumblr_inline_nx91rjZPdY1ttt6fg_1280

Sara Bareilles has written many beautiful songs that has emotionally impacted her audience. But, now the singer and songwriter is opening up about her own hurdles in finding confidence. She writes in in her new book, Sounds Like Me: My Life (so far) In Song about feeling like an outcast while growing up, grappling with doubts about her beauty, and trying to gracefully handle the challenge of staying authentic in the (not-so-authentic) music industry. She spoke to Yahoo Beauty about the new book. Here are some highlights from that interview.

What made you decide to write a memoir? What did you want to say and share?

“I got approached with this opportunity to write some sort of memoir. It didn’t really have much structure initially. It was really just having been asked the question that I started to think about, “How could I actually do that?” I said, “Yes,” and then was sort of horrified at how difficult it turned out to be. There were lots of times that I wished I had said, “No!” But ultimately, in the end, I came around, and I really love this book and the whole process. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, and I think ultimately that made me feel that much prouder of myself for having completed the task.”

Do you think being performer exacerbates those insecurities? 

“Oh yeah, absolutely. I had to go to a photo shoot yesterday and I was having minor panic attacks because I felt ugly. It’s so visceral. It’s so normal. Everybody, I think, on some level, can relate to what that feels like, just feeling exposed and raw. Even though, at the end of the day, I’m such a loud advocate for: ‘It doesn’t matter, you’re beautiful anyway!’ I still have those feelings about the way that I look. As someone who’s in the public eye to some capacity, it kind of comes with the territory. It’s a blessing and a curse. I have to be really mindful of how I have a relationship with that in my life. I think the more you can not give it too much power, I think it can stay in the room but it doesn’t have to be the loudest voice there.”

Did you feel like you could not speak up at the time during the Sing Off? How did you handle it?

“I really did struggle with that. I did speak up at the time, to the best of my ability, and it sort of didn’t do the trick in that moment. I look back on how I handled it now and I feel like, in some ways, maybe I was really dramatic or maybe I overreacted. But it was true to me at the time that I felt like I was being asked to do something that felt inauthentic to me, and I didn’t know how to stop the train. I’m somebody who’s very outspoken and totally comfortable being the annoying voice in the room who’s like, “I disagree with all of you!” But I still observed myself feeling powerless. It was a great reminder that there are a lot of people out there that feel that, in a lot of different ways. So I think in some ways I really need to dig deeper and know to fight harder for that for myself, but also on behalf of other people as well.”

Were there any stories around the song, Brave, that were really moving to you as a songwriter?

“That song is just a miracle to me that I get to be part of its legacy. I’ve learned so much from that song. It was such an awesome collaboration with Jack Antonoff, and he informed so much of it, it just felt like this really special communion of heart symbols. One of the things that stuck with me is the video that came out of the Children’s Hospital in Minnesota. I had written it as a love letter to a friend who was struggling with coming out, so it had one very specific message in my mind. But that was the first time that I was so struck by the fact that the song was kind of taking on this life of its own. It was becoming about cancer patients, and about people feeling strong enough to speak up to a bully at school. It was just all of these little moments that have come to life that have really colored that song experience for me. It’s really amazing.”

Sara Bareilles – What’s Inside: Making the Record Part 5 – “She Used to Be Mine”

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Sara Bareilles Shows Fans In New Book How She Overcame Depression In Music Industry

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire