jeudi 27 février 2014

Small Business: Be a Teacher

Small Business: Be a Teacher image Queensland State Archives 1640 Kelvin Grove State School Teacher and Class April 1951I love teaching. In fact, of all the things I do in my job, teaching is quite possibly my favorite part.


For me, teaching comes in a variety of forms. Not only do I teach both undergrads and business people in actual college classrooms and workshops, but the better part of my job as a consultant is teaching clients what to do, how to do them, and perhaps, most importantly, why to do them. There is a certain satisfaction from seeing that light bulb go on over someone’s head in an a-ha moment when they finally “get it.” By teaching them, I’m moving them forward, and I’m learning along the way as well.


In reality, teaching is really what all businesses are about, or should be about. It’s not just commerce and selling. It’s educating. And shifting your thinking to one of education and teaching, rather than one of selling and marketing, can make a big difference.


In your business you are selling a product or service. You do this to make money and to help others. But as consumers, we don’t want to be told:


“Buy this.”


We might not articulate it this way, but we’d rather be educated. Teach us about your product or service. Explain how it works and why it works, and educate me on why I might want or need it. Teach me how to use your products and take care of them, should I purchase them. As consumers, we desire to be taught. We want to learn. In fact, you might even have to teach them how to be a proper customer.


We also need to recognize that our customers have very different learning styles. Some prefer reading or hearing, while others learn best with a hands on approach. As businesses we need to adapt our teaching approach to each individual customers needs and learning style.


Also, remember that teaching isn’t always what you think it is. Teaching can be done via blog posts and videos. It can happen via posts and status updates across various social platforms. It can happen online and offline. Take a broad view of teaching and educating, and you’re well on your way.


Think of everything you do as a form of education, rather than merely marketing or selling. Just that change in mindset can make a big difference.


How are you teaching and educating your customers and prospects?






via Business 2 Community http://ift.tt/1ftmao6

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire