mercredi 26 novembre 2014

Geno Smith Back In Over Mchael Vick New York Jets Starting Quarterback

Geno Smith Back In Over Mchael Vick New York Jets Starting Quarterback image smith2


New York Jets coach Rex Ryan announced on Wednesday that Geno Smith has been re-installed as the team’s starting quarterback heading into Monday’s night game against Miami.


The second-year Smith thus reassumes his old post from veteran signal-caller Michael Vick. Smith started the team’s first eight games before giving way to Vick three games ago.


The move stunned many Jets players and ESPN later reported speculation was building Ryan was forced into the move by GM John Idzik. Ryan quickly refuted that theory, adding it was “100 percent our decision. The best thing for this team right now is to play Geno Smith.”


The Jets publicly made the announcement early Wednesday, shortly after Ryan claims he made both of the quarterbacks aware of the decision in separate conversations.


“I just didn’t see us flip-flopping,” guard Willie Colon said. “I just figured Vick was going to ride us out.”


Smith was benched after a Week 8 meltdown during which he threw three early interceptions in a 43-23 loss to Buffalo. The league-wide consensus now seems the out-of-contention Jets (2-9) are intent on taking another long look at Smith before heading into next season.


“I look at it definitely as an opportunity once again, almost like a second chance for me,” said Smith. The second-year quarterback added he’s convinced he’s benefitted from his time on the sidelines.


“When I go out there, I’m definitely going to be playing like everything is on the line, because it is.”


The 34-year-old Vick seemed to take it all in good spirits. “Nothing surprises me in this league,” he said though, declining to say if he feels the decision came from Ryan or the team’s front office.


“I don’t think it mattered,” he said. “The decision was made. I’m all for it. It’s cool. Not to say I agree with it — I’m a competitor, and you always want to be out there playing — but I don’t make the decisions. I respect every decision made in this organization.”


[Photo Credit: SLGCKGC]






Geno Smith Back In Over Mchael Vick New York Jets Starting Quarterback


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire